The following criteria guide the nomination, selection and induction process for the State of Washington Sports Hall of Fame.
1. Nominations may be made by providing detailed information on the nomination form about an individual’s accomplishments as an athlete, coach, administrator, pioneer/contributor, writer or broadcaster, official, or any other related category.
2. Athletes are eligible for nomination three (3) years following active participation. If death of a nominee occurs before completion of the waiting period, it is automatically reduced to six months.
3. Individuals in such categories as a coach, administrator, pioneer/contributor, official, broadcaster or sportswriter still active at the age of 60 (or after 40 years of service) may be nominated for the HOF. Leniency in the age restriction will also be given to those in lifetime sports such as golf, bowling, tennis etc. Coaches, administrators, media professionals, and officials must demonstrate significant accomplishments in their field for an extended length of time.
Significant participation or involvement in the development of an athletic program will be considered in the Pioneers/Contributors category. This is not to dilute the quality of the primary honors, it merely provides an opportunity to honor individuals who do not exactly fit into the established categories.
4. Individuals to be considered must have either been raised in the state of Washington, maintained significant long-term residence in the state, or must have accomplished their achievements in Washington for a minimum of five professional seasons. This applies to both athletes and coaches. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
5. Nominations must be accompanied by an official nomination form and include appropriate documentation to be considered by the Selection Committee.
6. The Board shall reserve the right to conduct further research on nominees prior to consideration by the Selection Committee.
7. The nominee must have exhibited strong character and discipline in representing the state of Washington throughout their careers to be considered. Conviction of any felony, crime of moral turpitude or official sanction by a governing body of the nominee’s sport during participation will automatically nullify his or her nomination.
8. The Athletes category is voted on annually and there is no maximum on how many can be honored. The category for Administrators/ Coaches/ Officials/Media/Pioneers/Contributors are also voted on annually with a maximum of two honored. The Veterans category is voted on every third year with a maximum of two honored.
9. The Executive Director, selectors and staff cannot be nominated to the State of Washington Sports Hall of Fame while in office.
The Selection Committee (selectors) are charged with the vital task of assuring that new inductees are the finest and most qualified representatives of sports in Washington state. The Selection Committee consists of sports media representatives and acknowledged sports historians from the state of Washington.
The selectors are appointed by the Executive Director after agreeing to participate regularly in nomination and review of candidates.
The major function of the Selection Committee is to ensure the integrity of the entire process and assist with the annual HOF induction ceremonies each year.
It is possible that a nominee is already on the preliminary list of more than 250 individuals being considered for induction.
If you have specific questions please contact us.